Friday, October 2, 2015

"Sing Me a Song..."

"... you're a singer.  Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil..." (Black Sabbath, Heaven and Hell)

Midsummer, 1992, about 5:00 p.m. CST.

Remember when video games allowed you to access and listen to individual sound effects and theme music, from the "Options" screen?  When I was 16-years-old, my little sister and I were sitting in my brother's bedroom, listening to various sound files from Castlevania IV on our Super Nintendo console.  One after another, we would listen to a sound effect or song, make up a joke or say something about it, and move on to the next one.

A short way into the song known as "Simon's Theme," or "Stage 1: Dance of the Holy Man," the disembodied voice of a woman suddenly echoed throughout the room, loudly and clearly harmonizing with the music coming from the television's speaker.  It was quite lovely, and lasted for several seconds before fading away.  My sister and I simply sat there for a few seconds, jaws dropping, before turning to stare at each other with wide eyes.  "Holy Crap!  Did you hear that?" I asked her.  She replied, "Yeah!  What was that?"

We immediately replayed the song to see if we would hear the same thing again, but were unable to recreate the phenomenon.  This was disappointing, because the voice we'd heard really was beautiful.  We went into the adjoining living room and determined that the television there was not turned on.  My father, who had been dozing in his easy chair just on the other side of our closed door had not spoken, nor had he heard anything.  Upon investigation, we also determined that there was nothing outside of the bedroom's open window that could have made the sound.

Through the magic of the internet, you can now listen to the song that was playing when my sister and I heard this ghostly singing.  Play the video below... the voice started at the 1:06 mark, and continued to about 1:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment